WEAR IT WELL!
How many times have you stood in front of the mirror and said to yourself “I Look Hot”. Don’t be shy. There are times when you’re on point, like a ballerina performing in Swan Lake. Then, there are times when you feel like you’re going to be the Fashion: Don’t of the Day. What’s missing? You’re never fully dressed without accessories!
I’ve been playing dress up since I was 5 years old, I spent my early 20’s dressing mannequins & styling women. I can show you what looks good on you and spent thousands of hours in the dressing room saying yes and often times saying no to clients, friends and yours truly. I have a thing for fashion and still to this day receive countless compliments on what I wear, from my gym outfit,shoes, summer dress, jeans, coats, t-shirts or evening gowns.
Do I make the clothes or do the clothes make me? You’ll have to be the judge, but for the purpose of this article, I wanted to share what I think it takes to have “Fashion Sense AND Financial Sense”
I’ve seen too many women go into debt or obliterate their savings account (I’m guilty for charging too) because they buy clothes that have no business in their closet. It’s so easy to want what other people are wearing, but if you can’t afford it and it’s going to stress you out. Don’t touch your wallet.
I love looking at magazines and New York Fashion Week for inspiration, but if you look closely and pay attention to the trends every season, you can cheat and not look cheap.
It’s Time For Some Wardrobe Love
If you want to Look Hot & Save Yours there are accessories that won’t cost you a pretty penny, A “Fashion Do” that will make your outfit POP every season!
Open up a Vogue magazine and you will see Top 6 Most Loved Fashion Accessories. All the famous style sheets are loaded with accessories. Does it matter if it costs$5 or $5000? If it looks good, or better yet you know how to make it look good.That’s what matters.
Here’s The List
1. BUCKLE UP :Obviously, you don’t need to wear belts with every article of clothing you own,but belts can add pizzazz to an outfit and are great waist cinchers. You’ll want some basic belts, leather or faux leather in neutral colors (think white, black, beige, brown, gray, and navy),but why not have one or two fun belts? Think metallic (again, because it’s neutral) or maybe even something colorful and fun like red, hot pink, yellow or purple. I love extra wide belts and skinny belts. If you feel your outfit is lukewarm, a belt will take it up a notch.
2. SPARKLE : Jewelry is the fastest path to look hot and posh, but jewelry can be easy to overdo as well. For instance, if you like big earrings,you’ll want your necklace to be understated and vice versa. If you like big, chunky necklaces go with smaller earrings. Another thing to consider is how much room for storage you have. If you don’t have a lot of room, invest in pieces that go with a lot of outfits or buy yourself a nice Jewelry Armoire.
Neutrals and metallic looks can do multiple duties. Also consider other jewelry on occasion,things like bracelets, pins, and rings. Again, though, be careful not to overdo. You want people to remember YOU, not your hand full of rings, beautiful or not. I love watches too. Remember they are an accessory too, so arm your wrist with a hot watch. You don’t have to spend a lot on jewelry to look RICH. There are many online boutiques that carry beautiful costume jewelry for under$100. I’ve worn diamond earrings and bracelets and am always surprised that I receive just as many compliments (if not more) on my “PoshONPennies Pieces”.
3 . NECK ROLL : Scarves are a great accessory in the winter,when all you want to do is cover up. BUT, I love, love, love scarves in the summer to throw over my shoulder when I’m wearing a dress. It’s a classic staple and can spice up any outfit. For instance, if your wardrobe consists mainly of plain, neutral-colored pieces,scarves in animal prints, polka dots, plaids, flashy colors or strips can put you on the best dressed list in a New York Minute.
I’m notorious for pairing a scarf with jeans & at-shirt. I’ve collected dozens of scarves over the years; they range in price, anywhere from $5 to hundreds of dollars. The easiest and most economical way to build a scarf collection, get in the habit of looking at scarves when you’re buying other articles of clothing. I find scarves when I least expect them. My top 3 stores to shop for scarves “Looks For Less” are Ross, TJ Maxx & Marshalls.
4. STRUT : There’s a reason I wrote the book “SellingINStilettos”. Stilettos make us look taller; our legs look longer and leaner. Stilettos will give your legs a great workout too and transform your gluteus maximus. It also forces you to correct your posture and walk with confidence.
I’m a firm believer in having at least a ½ dozen pair of “Hot Stilettos” in your closet. If you’re going to splurge, I recommend buying a classic stiletto in silver or gold metallic. Havin gone silver and one gold pair will solve all your weekend & evening wear dilemmas.You can get them in the classic pump, sling back or strappy styles, otherwise, your shoes will never see the light of day or the sidewalk.
If you’re obsessed with couture brands like Jimmy Choo, Christian Louboutin or Giuseppe Zanotti, strut on over to Heels.com, ‘Shoes for Under $100 Sale’ featuring brands like Steve Madden, Jessica Simpson, Guess and Paris Hilton.
Stilettos add edge to an outfit. If you’re wearing jeans and a t-shirt, throw on a fitted blazer and colored stilettos and all eyes will be on you. You picked up a hot little number at Forever 21 or H & M, pair it with my man Steve and you will stop traffic.
I can go on and on, like I did in the book but I think you get the point. A Stiletto Strategy can make you a“Fashion Do” every season!
5. HANDLE IT : Why are handbags so important? Whether real, fake, or‘luxury pre-owned,’ handbags are an expression of our style, provide functionality and are our most visible fashion accessory. It tricks the eye and can often times take you from “drab to fab”. Handbags always “fit”even when we think we’re too fat or too skinny.
I’ve had more than my share of monogram handbags but I don’t believe a ‘status bag’ should define you. Add a ½ dozen styles to your wardrobe to pair with a variety of outfits. I’ve bought handbags for $10 and some that were well over $1000. You can find beautiful handbags that won’t break the bank. If you’re looking to save more, have a clothing swap with your girlfriends. If you’d still like to splurge, invest in classic styles, you don’t want a hand bag that’s tipping the trendy scale, it will be dated the next season. If it’swell-made, it will last forever. Unlike shoes and clothes, handbags have staying power.
6. TURN HEADS : Most women only wear hats on bad hair days but hats can add a lot of personality to your outfit. It doesn’t cost a lot to turn heads while sporting a hat. Here are 9 styles that will cover you from the gym to girl’s night out. Your hat collection should include a Fedora, Baseball Cap, Straw Hat, Beanie, Woven Hat, Floppy Hat, Newsboy Cap & my all time favorite Beret!
Show Your Wallet & Wardrobe Some Love
When you shop for fashion accessories, I’d like you to keep this in mind, Look Hot, Save Yours AND Stand Out!